Cleantech Practice Group
Cleantech companies are disruptors, and proud of it. Your businesses are introducing new technologies and business models at an expanding rate. Success of your disruptive innovation often requires early stage protection, incentives or subsidies which will not exist forever. Consequently you need experienced financial leadership to manage the evolving competitive landscape. At CFOs2GO we have deep industry experience and expertise in Energy, Water, Transportation, Recycling and other cleantech sectors to guide a business through the minefield of financial risks.
Specific cleantech focused support includes:
- Strategic financial planning for changing regulations and competition
- R&D financial modeling optimized for current tax incentives
- Accounting and process controls for small projects to multi-million dollar capital plant construction
- Cash planning and management
Whether your business is a cleantech service or product company, you are driven to produce financial returns and sustainability.
Our practice group has the resources to quickly respond to any challenge. Based on our experience, we can quickly assess the challenges, develop solutions and provide the resources to execute them. The consulting CFO can work alone or gather a team to execute a short-term crucial project.
Practice Leader – Jerry Johnson
Jerry Johnson brings over 25 years of experience as a financial executive in the cleantech industry to the CFOs2GO practice leadership. He has held CFO and other senior level financial positions for clean energy (wind, solar, biomass, MSW, and natural gas), clean water (wastewater treatment, biosolids reuse) and environmental services (composting, recycling) companies. He has designed and implemented sustainability oriented accounting and treasury functions for start-ups, developed the construction accounting for numerous capital projects, provided financial analysis for a range of capital projects, acquisitions and divestitures, and closed a variety of financing structures.
Recruiting Expert – Jodi Avina
Jodi Avina is the Director of Recruiting Services for CFOs2GO. She has been with CFOs2GO for more than 15 years providing executive search and placement services for a variety of clients, utilizing her knowledge of medical devices, healthcare and service as well as international cultures and proficiency in several languages including being fluent in French and conversational in German and Russian. Her career has taken her worldwide – from living in France in college, to working with Ernst and Young and ending up in financial recruiting. She sits on several Boards for non-profits, including the East Bay Leadership Council and is past Chairman for Opportunity Junction in Antioch. Jodi brings 15 plus years of experience in the field of International business. Her understanding of the dynamic market conditions of global companies and her strong relationships translate to unique and significant recruiting advantages.
Who We Serve
As a company grows, the financial management practices that served them well in the past begin to hamper further growth. We can provide the insight and resources to reengineer the financial processes to help management drive future growth, including strategic and tactical IT support from CIOs2GO.
Changes in markets, policies and regulations require companies to change direction quickly to preserve the margins. This may entail restructuring the business or divesting a business unit. We work with companies to objectively review the options and make decisions that are consistent with their strategic objectives.
When building a new plant or evaluating M&A activity there is tremendous pressure on staff to focus on the existing, day-to-day operations. We can provide the oversight and the interim accounting resources needed to cost effectively get the work done; including evaluating acquisition targets, the subsequent due diligence and assist with the post-merger integration.
- Develop financial models for evaluating capital intensive projects, both for internal review and to present to the financial community (“bankable” models)
- Prepare and present financial reporting packages for lenders and develop compliance calendars
- Set up accounting processes and procedures for construction projects, provide interim staff to handle added workload for length of project
- Financial system process improvements to enable existing staff to spend more time assisting forward-looking decision making and less time on prior period reporting
- Analyze the financial impact of changing regulations and tax policies and work with management on strategic solutions
- Facilitating business strategic planning sessions
- Create rolling cash forecasts and cash management systems
- Develop annual budgets and long-term strategic plans
- Develop systems to capture Key Metrics and Key Performance Indicators
- Perform due diligence on acquisition targets, review divestiture candidates, post-merger integration
- Analyze costs and identify issues related to restructuring/downsizing
- Evaluate and source various financing options for new projects and liquidity needs
Successful Client Engagements
- Worked with a start-up clean energy company to develop accounting system, treasury function and budgeting process. Successfully implemented these systems to manage the development activities in fourteen states.
- Developed financial modeling and analysis for clean water company to evaluate various biosolids beneficial re-use capital projects, such as composting and pelletizing facilities.
- Provided valuation analysis, due diligence and helped negotiate acquisition of biomass energy facility and separate power purchase agreement to realize over 30% return on investment.
- Developed and implemented job cost and inventory management system for manufacturer of distributed generation units. System eliminated cost overruns and enabled more competitive pricing on future work.
- Provided structuring analysis and helped negotiate covenants for bond offering and project financing. Developed system to track and comply with resultant debt covenants.
- Developed and implemented Sarbanes-Oxley section 404 compliance documentation for utility affiliate.
- Worked with CEO and outside attorney of clean energy company to design and implement two reductions-in-force during volatile business environment. Actions enabled company to reduce costs by $3 million and attain positive cash flow from operations