Start-up, Rapid Growth and Pre-IPO Companies Practice Group
Start-ups, Rapid Growth and Pre-IPO stage companies all have one thing in common – they are moving quickly and success depends on paying careful attention to the financial and general health of the business. This requires effective planning and diligence. Planning, while frequently seat-of-the-pants, can quickly be ignored or forgotten, as the key contributors are overwhelmed with their day-to-day responsibilities. These companies benefit from advisors who have been in the trenches and can provide timely and affordable counsel.
Our practice group is led by experienced partners who have worked in a variety of industries and have advised countless, successful start-up companies. We assist our clients in pursuing financing, developing robust accounting and reporting systems and strengthening corporate governance at each stage, from initial start-up through rapid growth and IPO.
Ed O’Dea has over 35 years of experience as both a full time and part time CFO with 30 years working with start-ups and other private companies in various stages of development and growth. His role with these companies has varied from CFO, COO, investor and board member or advisor. Industries include high tech, internet, gaming, restaurants, wineries, manufacturing and distribution, and leasing. Ed leads a strong team of experienced CFOs and Recruiters who address the broad array of issues affecting new and private businesses in today’s marketplace on a daily basis.
Who We Serve
When a start-up forms, it’s still figuring out what its product is, who its customers are and how to make money. They often lack experience and foresight. We help companies that are just starting out to develop solid business plans with financial forecasts that aid in funding. We provide senior-level guidance needed to accelerate the company to the next stage and can make critical introductions to other professionals and services.
Planning for working capital, plant and equipment, and human capital becomes critical in this phase of business growth and expansion. We help rapid-growth companies to evaluate alternative strategies, personnel needs, market considerations and costs both domestic and international, and advise on funding alternatives. We provide a carefully conceived, detailed long term plans that serve as business tools to manage growth and expansion, and measure progress towards those goals.
Companies considering an IPO have unique challenges. There are accounting and reporting factors that must be considered related to specific SEC and Sarbanes Oxley (SOX) requirements. At this stage, a company requires detailed reviews and potential system upgrades. We help pre-IPO companies to develop and incorporate disclosure controls and procedures needed to ensure that financial statements are accurate and free of misstatements and prepare for the upcoming IPO.
- Develop a business plan that it is consistent with industry reporting standards and normal rates of returns.
- Develop a 3-5 year financial forecast that includes all the financials (Income statement, balance sheet and cash flow) and a head count projection based on a careful review of the compensation plans and particular skills best fit the particular business objectives
- Devise a long term financial model with “what if” capability providing planning at all levels.
- Review current accounting processes and procedures for both efficiency and adherence to GAAP, SOX and SEC requirements.
- Provide corporate governance leadership through a consulting Corporate Governance Officer.
- Serve on the Board of Directors as the Audit Committee technical expert.
- Advise a company on its selection of legal, tax, commercial banking, investment banking and insurance services.
- Lead the S-1 preparation team, and drive all regulatory filings.
- Staff the accounting and finance department by recruiting part time or full time qualified professionals and subordinates to fill those positions.
- Evaluate and recruit key employees and executives in other departments
- Develop sound cash management tools
- Evaluate personnel and HR practices or recommend specialists when needed.
- Recommend and implement accounting and related systems.
- Advise companies on expansion issues and costs – including international expansion.
- Develop a stock option plan and advice on the pricing of options and the need for 409A valuations.
- Function as the interim CFO and recruit the full time CFO
Successful Client Engagements
- Worked with a Start-Up food manufacturing company needed debt and equity capital. We worked with the founder to develop a realistic business plan along with achievable forecasts. With these tools in hand, the company was able acquire new capital with minimal dilution, an SBA loan and a line of credit. Provided ongoing consulting CFO support across broad financial, accounting, and organizational issues.
- Worked with a successful A Round high-tech start-up to design and implement its five year Operating Plan that would serve as the basis for investment and board reporting that included the stock option plan to support the Operating Plan and stock option reporting including regular 409A valuations and annual ASC 178 (formerly FASB 123R) calculations. Managed outside professionals including corporate attorney, valuation consultants, auditors, tax preparers and insurance consultants. Set-up foreign operations for outsourcing. Managed all compliance reporting for the U.S. and for the foreign operations. Recruited Accounting Manager/Bookkeeper.
- Worked for early stage Rapid Growth high tech company to developed forecasts to support private funding raising activities. Actively assisted in the conversion from QuickBooks to an ERP system. Provided a more efficient outsourced accounting team to support the new technology. Prepared 409A valuations to support stock option pricing and provided decision support needed during the acquisition by a public acquirer.
- Worked with a Rapid Growth technology company developing recordkeeping and reporting infrastructure including integrating accounting software package to sales CRM and electronic storefront in addition to designing accounting and human resource policies and practices. Developed departmental and executive management reports as well as board reports including a Dashboard with KPIs.
- Worked with Rapid Growth SaaS company developing five-year operating plan and developing departmental and executive management reports as well as board reports including a Dashboard with KPIs that measured, among other goals, progress towards exit objective. Prepared Cost of Sales analysis by channel of distribution including SEO and personal sales. Prepared Cost of Goods sold analysis by product.
- Worked with Pre-IPO Research and Development Company that commercialized intellectual property through licensing and joint ventures by staffing Interim CFO and technical accounting to prepare S-1, meet with investment banks and market makers in addition to corporate attorneys, auditors, and all relevant professionals. Recruited full time senior financial management including CFO and Corporate Controller
- Worked with Pre-IPO energy manufacturing company with global operations providing interim technical accounting support. Recruited full time senior financial management including CFO and Corporate Controller that prepared S-1, met with investment banks and market makers in addition to meet corporate attorneys, auditors, and all relevant professionals.
I can’t thank you enough for your guidance and leadership as our consulting CFO through this acquisition process and beyond. Plus you made it fun. Thank you!
Sue Auman, COO
CentreLearn Solutions, LLC
“CFOs2Go provided us with a Consulting CFO who understood the needs of our business, implemented policies and procedures designed to govern our operations, trained our staff to carry out those policies and structured our ERP reporting to allow us to view our profitability from many perspectives, as well as understand our financial position and cash flows on a routine basis. We now make informed business decisions that will allow us to achieve our high growth targets for this year and beyond.”